Ready for a job? Embarking on a career?
If you have a disability and you’re thinking about getting a job, you may be wondering how to build a career and be successful. The first step to success is making a solid plan to find the job that’s right for you.
Whether you are ready to find your first job or you’re making a career change, there are things you can do to make the search easier and more successful:
- Figure out which jobs would be right for you.
- Develop a plan to get the job you want.
- Explore several career possibilities.
- Connect with state agency services for support and assistance.
- Prepare and train for a career. You may need specialized skills training or other additional education.
- Consider a specialized job placement strategy such as customized employment, job creation, job carving, or job sharing.
- Write a resume.
- Conduct informational interviews.
- Learn about working with an employment service provider.
- Decide if you want to disclose your disability to potential employers.
- Consider transportation arrangements, accommodations, and any effects of job wages on benefits.
- Understand what it takes to be successful on the job.
- Learn how to get the supports you need.