The Work Without Limits Benefits Counseling program specializes in assisting individuals to understand how earned income (e.g., from work and self-employment) and unearned income (e.g., gifts, inheritances, lottery winnings, grants, guaranteed income) may affect public benefits, such as:
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Medicaid and Medicare
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Emergency Aid to Elderly, Disabled and Children (EAEDC)
Work Without Limits currently provides two no-cost benefits counseling services for Social Security beneficiaries receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI):
The Work Without Limits EN is part of the Social Security Ticket to Work program and offers on-going benefits counseling.
This service is for SSI/SSDI beneficiaries who have a:
- short-term goal (3-12 months) of earning $1,050/month or more, or
- long-term goal (3-5 years) of earning $1,470/month or more, or
- goal of increased earnings and self-sufficiency through work
Please Note: Our EN also provides the administrative functions that allow community-based organizations and state agencies to access payments through the Social Security Ticket to Work program.
Work Incentives Planning and Assistance
With funding from a Social Security WIPA grant, Work Without Limits provides Benefits Counseling services to individuals with disabilities between the ages of 14- 64 who receive Social Security disability benefits who are:
- Working, self-employed or about to start work either full-time or part-time.
- Actively interviewing for employment.
- Currently receiving services from State Vocational Rehabilitation (VR), Ticket to Work Employment Network (EN) or other vocational program or indicate serious intent to work.
- Transition-age youth ages of 14-25 at any stage of employment.
- Veterans seeking to return to work.
- Members of racial, ethnic and disability communities or other underserved populations seeking resources to obtain training or education with a clear employment goal.
- Massachusetts Counties: Middlesex, Worcester, Franklin, Hampshire, Hampden, and Berkshire
- New York Counties: Albany, Columbia, Greene, Rensselaer, Schenectady, Schoharie and Washington
For individuals who do not meet the above criteria, please contact:
Social Security Ticket To Work
Toll-Free Help Line: 1-866-968-7842
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Creatives Rebuild New York (CRNY), a workforce initiative for artists across New York State, provides artists with employment opportunities and guaranteed income to mitigate the devastating economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. In partnership with CRNY, Work Without Limits provide artists with benefits counseling services. These services help artists to understand the impact employment and guaranteed income may have on any public benefits they may be receiving.
In partnership with Mass Cultural Council, Work Without Limits provides benefits counseling services for creatives and gig workers who have been awarded grants from the Mass Cultural Council’s Cultural Sector Recovery Grants for Individuals. Benefits counseling services will help artists to understand the impact the Recovery Grant may have on any public benefits they may be receiving.
This web page was developed at U.S. taxpayer expense and is funded through a Social Security cooperative agreement. Although Social Security reviewed this document for accuracy, it does not constitute an official Social Security communication.