The Culinary Career Academy
A culinary training program, brought to you by a grant from the Commonwealth Corporation
Candidates who are interested in the food service industry will be referred to the Culinary Career Academy by their respective agencies. A formal interview, information on program outline and schedule availability, along with benefit counseling from a Representative of Work Without Limits will be provided to each candidate.
The program will be offered 2 times a year for cohorts of 12-15 participants.
Interested applicants should apply by April 16, 2021. Training begins early May 2021!
The curriculum has three segments of training and a fourth, if feasible, based on the COVID-19 pandemic, may be added:
Interpersonal “Soft” Skills
- Customer Service
- Communication, enthusiasm and attitude
- Introduction to the food service industry
- Basic culinary skills
- Problem solving and critical thinking
- Professionalism and self advocacy on the job
Interactive Virtual Classroom
- Industry training and the ServSafe Food Handler’s curriculum
- Basic kitchen safety and utility/housekeeping
- Equipment use and maintenance
- Food handling and cross contamination
- Storage and product orders
- Covid-19 Guidelines
Hands-on Experience Externship*
- Hands-on experience of working in a fully operating kitchen within the community
- Each participant will participate in 40 hours of Externship training to enhance the skills obtained during the classroom hours.
* Depending on feasibility due to community Covid-19 guidelines
Job Search Support
Participants will be supported for their future job search with:
- Resume review and updating
- Mock interviews
- Search plan
Candidates will receive a food service certificate, with a focus on Covid-19 food handling, upon graduation. Support will be provided in obtaining employment in food service with our partner companies.